"....blessed is this life, so im going to celebrate being alive!"


Thursday, November 6, 2008

Rwanda...

About a month ago Ty and I went to a play called the Overwhelming. It was done by the Salt Lake Acting Company and was pretty much one of the best plays I have ever been to. The play was based on the genocide that happened in Rwanda in 1994. The story was super emotional as one could imagine being based on such an awful happening. I had tears in my eyes as the play ended and the narrator said,"Don't worry, you will all go home and forget any of this ever happened, back to your normal lives." Well, that's pretty much what happened. Many times in our lives we see movies, hear happenings on the radio, watch the news and hear stories about people that have struggles and wonder in what ways can I help. Just the other day I was listening to NPR and the headlines were about the Tutsi militia attacking the refugee camps in Congo. We heard about Rwanda and the genocide, the conflict has not ended.
Margo and Travis (the couple I nanny for) have for many years been a part of Heifer International. This is a organization that helps families achieve self-reliance through the gift of livestock. The idea is to donate and buy some sort of livestock, (cow, goat, sheep, bees) which prices range from 10$-150$. Families all over the world are involved,on the web page, heifer.org under passing the gift, there is a story of a woman who had survived the genocide in Rwanda and received a cow from Heifer. She then used to milk to make an income and then gave her first calf to a neighbor, passing the gift.... Anyhow, long blog short... I think it would be rather awesome to donate to this organization and help those in need. I have been thinking of people in Rwanda and the harships that the people have had to deal with. We think our lives are bad,... think again.... Look into this web page and see for yourself what this organization has to offer.. Ty and I will be donating....

No comments: